[Codel] The next slice of cake

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:09:21 EDT 2015

In terms of a cake feature request...

fq_codel has a maximum number of packets limit, which is set very
large (10000) to accommodate 10GigE. It is arbitrarily patched down in
openwrt (1000), and reduced still further by the sqm-scripts (also
arbitrarily), to reduce the impact of a packet flood on machines with
very little memory.

I would like cake to have a byte limit instead. Now, per packet
overhead in linux is very high, something like 256 extra bytes per
packet (4x1 vs the smallest size). However, a packet limit can be much
harder on memory than that - overhead be as large as 64k per "packet"
on TSO/GSO enabled systems, (dynamic range of 1x1000!), vs using a
byte limit which would only have issues with lots of small packets.

cake's bandwidth parameter can easily set a desirable max byte limit
at (say) 2 or 4x the BDP, and key off of that and not bother to track
a per packet limit.

It would be nice for cake (without shaping enabled) to be about to
automatically sense the actual interface rate and size this outer
limit appropriately, but I don't think mechanisms exist to do that.