[Codel] [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-codel-03.txt

Dave Täht dave at taht.net
Thu Jul 7 15:11:55 EDT 2016

On 7/7/16 1:34 PM, Michael Menth wrote:
> Dear Polina, dear all,
>
> Am 07.07.2016 um 13:49 schrieb Goltsman, Polina:
>> Dear Andrew, Dear Wesley,
>>

>> First of all, sorry for the long waiting time. I still haven't processed
>> "nits" but I have 2 major issues.
>>

>> *Issue 1: *This issue is still related to the reentering dropping state.
>>

>> As of the latest I-D, the "reentering dropping state"  appears in form
>> of one sentence in the text and a small code block in the pseudo-code.
>>

>> The text is on page 13:
>>
>>> Additional logic prevents re-
>>> entering the dropping state too soon after exiting it and resumes the
>>> dropping state at a recent control level, if one exists.
>>
>> The comment to the pseudo-code on page 20:
>>

>>            // If min went above target close to when it last went
>>            // below, assume that the drop rate that controlled the
>>            // queue on the last cycle is a good starting point to
>>            // control it now. ('drop_next' will be at most 'interval'
>>            // later than the time of the last drop so 'now - drop_next'
>>            // is a good approximation of the time from the last drop
>>            // until now.) *Implementations vary slightly here; this is // the Linux version, which
>> is more widely deployed and // tested.
>>
>> *
>>

>> Or summarized: this issue is not addressed in text, which instead just
>> mentions that the issue exists, there are several versions of this logic
>> and here is one of them.
>>

>> As it reads now, this "reentering" should be a tiny insignificant part
>> of the algorithm that (1) doesn't happen in "most" of the cases, and (2)
>> when it does happen, it will only "slightly" affect "performance" (with
>> proper definitions of "most", "slightly", and "performance").
>>

>> Is it really so?
>>

>> Based on our evaluations, with pure CoDel (without FQ-CoDel),
>> "reentering" is actually a common case. I think Dave and Toke should
>> have more experimental results to answer this question.

It is actually a common case. The initial run-up of the count variable
dominates in the early stages of a many-TCP onslaught, then later on it
falls into and out of the drop state portion in the latter part of the
code, being discussed here.

Flent has suport for sampling the delay, drops, and queue backlogs, and
we have data for 1-1000 flows, <1 to 100s ms of rtts through bottleneck
links ranging from 1mbit through a gbit.

We have not been sampling the value of the count variable in those
tests. Most of our testing has been limited to persistent loads of 20
minutes or less, and has tended to focus on bidirectional and web
traffic, using fq_codel derivatives, rather than pounding X number of
full rate flows through the system.

>>(I included Dave in CC)

I am on the aqm, bloat, and codel lists, but am traveling through the EU
(Well, england just now), through mid-august, so replies may be
infrequent and/or incomplete. I will be at ietf.

> We also studied this issue about one or two years ago. The algorithm
> controlling the reentering of the dropping mode may have a significant
> impact on control variables, drop rates, drop pattern depending on the
> traffic. It can also impact utilization. Most interesting is probably
> Fig. 6 on page 7 in
> https://atlas.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~menth/papers/Menth16e.pdf

A couple quick, scattered notes:

re:

I have never been happy with the resume/decay portion of the algorithm,
and thank you for exploring some of the alternatives left behind on the
simulation bench.

I'd have liked the linux version of this bit plugged into the experiment.

Floating point is unavailable in the linux kernel, and while we could do
a fixed point fractional count, getting up to the number of colliding
flows needed to start needing that in fq_codel seemed not needed.

Adding the -ACT ideas to fq_codel would be an interesting test.
I think, from reading this paper, that we could easily recreate the
conditions of this experiment in flent, but I would always welcome
source code so as to be able to change variables like the kernel tcp
version from kernel 2.6.21 to 4.8, factor in BQL, look at RTTs between
10 and 100, bandwidths > 10mbit, and other underlying issues like that.

In the 64 flows case at 10mbit, with the sustained low delay of
codel-act, and pie, I am curious how often tcp flows are resetting or
having RTOs? I do not think that a fixed delay is desirable. "You aim
for a target", not that you need to hit it. More important is high
utilization, and trying to keep the connections afloat, with as minimum
latency as possible.

I would have liked to seen a staggered start attempted for this many
flows, reverse traffic, etc.