[Codel] Using fq_codel with a WiFi uplink to the Internet

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 06:28:14 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Phineas Gage <phineas919 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two questions about using fq_codel on an edge router when the
> Internet uplink is through point-to-point WiFi:
>
> Question #1: Is it still effective to run fq_codel on our edge router when I
> have a WiFi uplink to the Internet, instead of a cabled connection like
> ADSL? And related to that, is a high quality point-to-point WiFi connection
> indistinguishable from a cabled connection as far as fq_codel is concerned?

Yes, it is effective to a small extent. However, I would highly
recommend that you look into make-wifi-fast, and start testing the
firmware that Toke uploaded.

See this: http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/crypto_fq_bug/

(Personally, I would still prefer cables for point to point, but with
the recent efforts of make-wifi-fast, this could change by next year)

> Question #2: Assuming the answer to Question #1 is an overall "yes", is it
> then better to have a guaranteed speed from the ISP, instead of having a
> variable but potentially higher speed, so that I can control the queue and
> have fq_codel and HTB prioritization work effectively?

Guaranteed speed, or at least minimum guaranteed speed for both upload
and download is a good idea. You don't have to login and tweak each
time.

> Background: I manage the network for a camp / conference center that
> supports up to about 120 users (5-10 simultaneous, at times). For Internet,
> we've been using ADSL with 5 Mbit download, 0.4 Mbit upload (remote area, so
> it’s slow). The only thing that keeps it usable is running fq_codel on a
> transparent Linux bridge that sits between the LAN and ADSL modem. On this
> bridge, I restrict the upload and download rate to about 85-90% of maximum,
> and use fq_codel, plus some HTB prioritization rules. It’s extremely
> effective at providing usable latency, so kudos to the fq_codel algorithm
> and implementation. It looks like this:
>
> LAN <=> Linux bridge with fq_codel <=> ADSL Modem 0.4 / 5.0 Mbps <=> DSLAM …

I have a similar configuration: LAN <=> fq_codel (tp-link archer c7 v2
with pppoe) <=> FTTH modem (bridge mode)

May I ask why put the ADSL modem in bridge mode, and let the fq_codel
box handle pppoe ?

> But now, we have a chance to improve our throughput problem by switching to
> a point-to-point WiFi uplink that could hit speeds of 30-40 Mbit symmetric
> (more on the speeds later). We have to decide on starting a contract with
> them. At the same time, I’ll be switching the bridge to a Ubiquiti
> EdgeRouter X, which has fq_codel in its kernel, but should have the same
> effect. It would look something like:

Does EdgeRouter X also implement BQL for its network drivers ?