[Codel] self tuning codel

Andrew McGregor andrewmcgr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:00:56 EDT 2018

So, it has a core assumption: that a stable arrangement of links with small
persistent delays is something that both can and should exist.

It's kind of like a fluid model, in many ways.

Thing is, I don't think it's desirable that persistent delays exist
anywhere.

Now, autotuning codel is probably a good idea... but the implementation
should be local. If you're a bottleneck, you may as well behave as if
you're the only bottleneck, even if that isn't the case, because if you're
in a distributed bottleneck situation your actions will help anyway. A
global distributed solver like is proposed here could possibly work in a
private network, but I can't see that solution flying in precisely the
place you really need it: peering.

One way to do this locally would be to identify the impulse response of the
stochastic DE describing the aggregate running through the link using
something like https://arxiv.org/abs/1309.7857 and then tune to optimal
behaviour for the resulting DE, along the lines of
https://arxiv.org/abs/1510.08439.