[Codel] [Cake] [Bloat] The "Some Congestion Experienced" ECN codepoint - a new internet draft -

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Mar 11 03:43:48 EDT 2019

Hi Mikael,

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 08:08, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>
>> An interesting idea, but SCE marks will appear even when there's a lot of congestion (at high rates, ie. probably every packet that doesn't carry CE), as well as showing up at low frequency when the level of congestion only warrants reducing the growth rate.  I think the word "Some" is sufficiently descriptive, while "Slight" might cause people to ignore it completely.
>
> One way to handle this would be "buffering experienced" or something like that. Ie if this packet is being enqueued into a buffer with non-trivial number of packets in it, mark it.
>
> The L4S proposal also has the property that their use of this last code point combination in the entire packet header (and this is a big thing, this is the last unicorn) also meant the packet was allowed to be re-ordered.

	How is packet reordering for anybody but the folks responsible for operating the "conduits" in any way attractive?

> I thought this was a big and nice thing, for other areas. This new proposal removes that property.
>
> From what I can see, L4S actually is quite novel and has the chance to seriously change the way queueing is done. This proposal seems more like "a little more of what we had before" which I do not think warrants claiming this last unicorn codepoint.

	I would argue that evolutionary changes tend to look mostly like "more of the old, just a little different" sothis might be considered a plus for this proposal ;)

Best Regards
	Sebastian