[Codel] [Make-wifi-fast] [Starlink] [Cake] [Cerowrt-devel] Due Aug 2: Internet Quality workshop CFP for the internet architecture board

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 14:36:38 EDT 2021

My own experiments with this, in the past (5+ years ago), was that you
absolutely had to use cabled setups for repeatability, but then didn't have
enough randomness in the variability to really test anything that was
problematic.  We could create hidden nodes, or arbitrary meshes of devices,
but they were always static.

We used N-way RF splitters and either direct coax in lieu of antennas, or
isolation boxes with an antenna attached to a bulkhead fitting, with coax
on the outside.  One other problem we ran into was that unshielded radio
front-ends could "hear" each other without isolation boxes.

I really wanted both variable attenuators, and points where I could inject
RF noise, so that instead of broad-band attenuation, maybe we could just
swamp the communications with other noise (which is also a common thing we
were running into with both our 900Mhz (ZWave) and 2.4GHz (wifi) radios.

Less common, but something I still see, is that a moving station has
continual issues staying in proper MIMO phase(s) with the AP.  Or I think
that's what's happening.  Slow, continual movement of the two, relative to
each other, and the packet rate drops through the floor until they stop
having relative motion.  And I assume that also applies to time-varying
path-loss and path-distance (multipath reflections).