[Ecn-sane] [Cake] Status of sch_cake and sctp with ECN

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 01:06:35 EDT 2018

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM Ruben <ruben at vfn-nrw.de> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I googled this but I found no answers. RFC4960 (the sctp RFC) is mentioning ECN, but just in the appendix. I was wondering if the Linux library has ECN support, and how one might active it (as socket option or as system setting?)

Pretty good question. The added reliability of ecn would benefit sctp
applications. There's two ways to get sctp out of linux, the kernel
way and a userspace way. Kernel I thought was the most common. Netperf
has support for it.  4+ years back I'd mostly tested sctp over ipv6
and at least from the kernel code in net/sctp/ipv6 it appears to mark
packets as ecn capable, but I wasn't looking at the time. whether the
congestion control in sctp is currently working worth a damn, don't
know.

So I can quickly setup a server to test this over ipv6 this week.

>and if this tags are currently supported to be handled by sch_cake?

ecn capability is a property of any protocol built on top of ip, tcp,
udp, sctp, udp_lite, etc.

> Hope someone got a bit more overview about this, than me, without digging into code documentations.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Best regards
>
> Ruben

CTO, TekLibre, LLC