[Ecn-sane] [Flent-users] [bbr-dev] duplicating the BBRv2 tests at iccrg in flent?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Apr 9 13:20:17 EDT 2019

Sorry for being to vague the first time around. I note, as Jonathan did, that the SCE RFC has basically the desired properties, it still uses CE with the generally accepted meaning, and basically uses the ECT(1) codepoint the same way as current dctcp uses the CE mark, that way it has the backward compatibility with old AQMs that only use CE as drop equivalent, the desired fiber grained pulse-modulated load signal from the bottleneck, and the "stop harder" signal that I am advocating for here.
Basically the only thing that the L4S approach adds is some incomplete isolation between tcp-friendly and L4S flows. Incomplete as ECT(1) only can differentiate non-marked packets (all CE-marked packets look the same in regards to the two but ECN field); which has two consequences, L4S will treat all CE marked packets as belonging to an L4S flow (which is probably a) benign and b) L4S's problem) and it will not respond timely enough if the marking AQM is not of the AQM kind. I note that with L4S approaching experimental status, basically no AQM in the wider internet will be L4S-friendly, so the latter incompleteness seems IMHO rather hostile...

Best Regards
        Sebastian