[Ecn-sane] [tsvwg] Compatibility with singlw queue RFC3168 AQMs

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 7 04:41:33 EDT 2019

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> Based on our post-session discussions, I feel that it may not actually
> be entirely clear to the L4S people just how serious the situation with
> L4S and Codel is.

My take on all of this is that whatever we come up with needs to be
incrementally deployable on an Internet that has everything from stupid
huge FIFOs to FQ_CODEL to whatever else might be out there, and there
should be no huge pathological downsides of deployment that causes
widespread degradation/collapse of anything currently being in wider use
on the Internet.

In 5-10 years we're still going to have all kinds of AQMs and stupid huge
FIFOs still in wide use.

So I'd like to see robust testing done for all proposals to see that they
work properly on everything from GSM EDGE to ADSL to FQ_CODEL and
dual-queue whatever we come up with together with commonly used traffic
types on the Internet today, elastic and non-elastic.

I realise this is problematic and gets in the way of progress but the
Internet is a messy place and we need to do mitigation of pathological
cases where new and old don't always play nice together.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se