[Ecn-sane] [tsvwg] Compatibility with singlw queue RFC3168 AQMs

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 7 08:03:22 EDT 2019

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> (assuming TCP SACK in use).  But the socket interface would need
> to present sequencing information along with the segments; it being
> no longer implied by the sequence of satisfied reads.

Yes, the socket stream interface guarantees ordered delivery of that
stream. That doesn't mean other 5 tuple connections running over the same
media need to be held up just because a packet is missing from this first
stream. A lot of medias guarantees complete ordering, even between
flows/streams. If we loosen this requirement then muxed transports or
other stream can continue even if there is a packet missing and being
ARQed on the media.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se