[Ecn-sane] sce ramp vs threshold

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 13:50:32 EDT 2019

> On 8 Aug, 2019, at 7:17 pm, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My original understanding of sce was that a threshold function sufficed for fq, and a ramp was needed for single queues. Is that still the case?

It's more the case - as it always has been - that a threshold function suffices as the minimum functional implementation, but a ramp function performs better even with FQ.  With a ramp, it is possible for the cwnd to stabilise *at* a balancing value rather than oscillating around it.

We're still exploring the solution space for single queues.  A ramp function might not be the best option there, but the kinked ramp shown in the slide deck seems to work okay when correctly tuned.

 - Jonathan Morton