[Ecn-sane] cautionary tcp tale

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Mon Aug 12 20:49:56 EDT 2019

This is the stupidity of NAT, which encouraged modifying TCP checksums, which are supposed to be not modified in the network at all.

The whole point of an "end-to-end" checksum is that the middle shouldn't touch it!

Now I get why NAT became popular, though at the time many of us pretty much vomited all over the idea as completely bogus.

I do worry that now there is TCP checksum offloading in NICs, that middleboxes are feeling freer just to throw away and recalculate checksums as they pass through, and not bother to forward non-TCP, nonUDP, nonICMP IP packets at all.

This would be the kind of thing that Cisco, for example, might just do, since they have long thought that they owned the Internet design as a corporate entity.