[Ecn-sane] cautionary tcp tale

Rodney W. Grimes 4bone at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Tue Aug 13 22:46:25 EDT 2019

> I'm pretty sure it was stated in Cerf and Kahn's paper "A Transmission Control Protocol" as published in IEEE Proceedings. I know it was in the Transmission Control Protocol Working Group email and paper documents, though I don't have a personal copy. Is it in an RFC? Probably. It's important to remember that RFC's were literally Requests for Comment in the 1970's. They weren't the entire record.
>
> But this kind of gradual rot does creep into systems design communities. THat's why I'm wondering whether the rationale and decisions ought to be restated.

Without clear and concise documentation on the "engineering process" that arrvies at conclusion there is little to pass on to the next generation such that this "folke lore" does not become forgotten.

It is probably also mentioned in Stevens and Comer, which I am glad to see are still top hit search results.

But I doubt many new network developers read such books any more, if anything a good oral histroy should be recorded before we loose those that know the actual history and reasoning in that decision process, not that I am saying it is the necassarily still the best decisions, but it is important to know so that we do not nievly undo sound engineering.

Gorry Fairhurst has started a wonderful document on ECN:  Guidelines for Internet Congestion Control at Endpoints, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-cc.  The SCE developers are in process of preparing a review of it, which Pete Heist has done a wonderful job so far with.  This document collects in one place almost all of the references in RFC's to CC's.

A similiar I-D could be started about fundemental IP and transport layer paradigms, and incase your not aware rfc793bis is in process and could use more eyes, imho.  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org