[Ecn-sane] non queue building flows ietf draft review.

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Aug 24 17:59:40 EDT 2019

Well,

now I wasted my evening by going through this once again, and I remember why I forgot its content from last time around...

I am with Dave, it is a bit wordy for effectively saying let's call 2A = NBQ, and it comes with loads of tangential text that really seems to belong to an actually substantial L4S RFC.

I wrote way to much and I am way to remote of all of this but I will try to just extract the most relevant part of my draft (the wifi recommendation map NBQ to AC_VO is horrendously wrong IMHO).

> On Aug 24, 2019, at 18:27, Rodney W. Grimes <4bone at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> fun fact, the draft is titled "Identifying and Handling Non Queue Building Flows in a Bottleneck Link".
>> To which the _only_ and obvious answer is one does this by by observing flow-behavior on the element that egresses into the bottleneck link.
>> Case closed, Nothing to see folks, you can go home...  ;)
>
> As Dave points out, and probably his strongest point,
> this is yet another attempt to have sources classify thier
> traffic for HIGHER priority or LOWER latency and ignore or
> hand wave away the security (DOS) implications that causes.

	It has other issues as well, like misunderstanding with equal sharing under load is a rational strategy and believing that the queue protection method as pseudo-coded on the docsis standard document are anything but a poor man's fq system (and rather rich to point at fq_codel's hash collision issue over (default) 1024 flows, while queue protect seems to only use 32 queues, plus a catch all flow for all the rest, tell me with a straight face that the fate sharing going on in that bucket is going to be less severe than the hash collisions in a 1024 flow system)

> You can do that type of thing in a controlled situation,
> even as large as a whole AS, but this can never succeed
> at the scale of "Internet."

	I believe all of this is not really aimed for the internet anyway. What I see are building blocks for a low latency highway from the (DOCSIS)-ISP to directly connected data centers, and I am not sure I want that.

>> (I have started to read this thing ages ago and blissfully forgot all about it, time to read it agian?)
>
> Yes, please, everyone read it again and comment on it,
> it is very far along in the process now.

	From my perspective the 2A=NBQ part is fine it is all the rest that seems superfluous.