[Ecn-sane] complexity question

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 22:57:32 EDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 7:43 AM Luca Muscariello <muscariello at ieee.org> wrote:

> We could reliably say that most of the cost comes from DRR.

yep. Particularly as we tend to overuse small quantums and don't
really have anything other than gut
feel as to how to scale it. I'm not fond of - as we use in wifi - 300
as the quantum - as that's kind of
expensive in terms of loops through the algo - however it does
optimize for small packets really well, and as a wireless-n aggregate
has a 64 packet (oft much less) limit to the number of packets in it
makes sense to interleave as much as .you can.

I am thinking we should scale this differently for ac and later.

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1109/LCOMM.2012.081612.120744

> FQ based on virtual times, such as start time, would cost O(log N) where N is the number of packets in the queuing system.

Hmm... and EDF?

> DRR as designed by Varghese provided a good approximation with O(1) cost. So you're not wrong Dave
> at least for DRR. But I don't see any other cost to add to the check list.

The thing that I'm strugglng to express is the codel or pie bit - let
me use pie.

Assume we have a drop probability of 50%. (not doing wifi here...)

You can say that on average you are going to drop every other packet,
but probability could be
coming up 1 for a potentially infinite number of tries. So, if we were
running WAY closer to the hw
and we had a budget of X ns to get the next packet onto the wire, we
need to give up on dropping
anything and just deliver a packet and hope we do more of the right
thing next time.

Now the act of putting in a budget actually heisenbugs the calc more.
bql needs a bound (or used to)

skb = dequeue_from_drr();
for(i = 0; skb && i < 6; i++) {
    if (had_to_drop(skb)) {
    skb = dequeue_from_drr();
    }
}

You can accept (as we do in bql) a standing queue that's pretty tiny
(2-3k at 100mbit, 36k or so at a gbit)
you can try (in hw) to process several queues in parallel with, say a
3 (x?) deep pipeline
you can do the dequeue and always have one "ready to go"
you can process everything simultaneously (edf)

and I used to know how qfq worked but now forget

Did I miss any options here? (in hw?) How about using some ai
technique that's likely to attract grant money? :)
.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740