[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] sce materials from ietf

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Mon Dec 2 00:10:51 EST 2019

Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Rodney,
>

>> On Dec 1, 2019, at 18:30, Rodney W. Grimes <4bone at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jonathan,

>>> 	Belt and suspenders, eh? But realistically, the idea of using
>>> an accumulating SCE counter to allow for a lossy reverse ACK path
>>> seems sort of okay (after all TCP relies on the same, so there
>>> would be a nice symmetry ).
>>> I really wonder whether SCE could not, in addition to its current
>>> bit, borrow the URG pointer field in cases when it is not used, or
>>> not fully used (if the MSS is smaller than 64K there might be a few
>>> bits leftover, with an MTU < 2000 I would expect that ~5 bits might
>>> still be usable in that rate case). I might be completely of to
>>> lunch here, but boy a nice rarely used contiguous 16bit field in
>>> the TCP header, what kind of mischief one could arrange with that
>>> ;) Looking at the AccECN draft, I see that my idea is not terribly
>>> original... But, hey for SCE having an additional higher fidelity
>>> SCE counter might be a nice addition, assuming URG(0), urgent
>>> pointer > 0 will not bleached/rejected by uninitiated TCP
>>> stacks/middleboxes...
>>
>> We need to fix the ACK issues rather than continue to work around
>> it.  Ack thinning is good, as long as it does not cause information
>> loss.  There is no draft/RFC on this, one needs to be written that
>> explains you can not just ignore all the bits, you have to preserve
>> the reserve bits, so you can only thin if they are the same.
>> Jonathan already fixed Cake (I think that is the one that has ACK
>> thinning) to not collapse ACK's that have different bit 7 values.
>
> 	Well, I detest ACK thinning and believe that the network
> should not try to second guess the users traffic (dropping/marking on
> reaching capacity is acceptable, but the kind of silent ACK thinning
> some DOCSIS ISPs perform seems actively user-hostile). But thinning or
> no thinning, the accumulative signaling is how the ACK stream deals
> with (reasonably) lossy paths, and I think any additional signaling
> via pure ACK packets should simply be tolerant to unexpected losses. I
> fully agree that if ACK thinning is performed it really should be
> careful to not loose information when doing its job, but SCE hopefully
> can deal with whatever is out in the field today (I am looking at you
> DOCSIS uplinks...), no?

I happen to not be huge on ack thinning either, but the effect
on highly assymetric networks was pretty convincing, and having
to handle less acks at the sender a potential goodness also.

http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/ack_filtering/

At the time we did I thought it could be made even better,
if we allowed more droppable packets to accumulate on each
round, it would both be "fairer" and be able to "drop more"
over each round.

https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake/issues/104

Never got around to it.

I'd much rather have fewer highly assymmetric networks, and the
endpoint tcps do the thinning (which is what more or less happens
with GSO), but....

secondly, I note that "ack prioritization" is a very common thing in
multiple shapers I've looked at, starting with wondershaper and in many
others (including dd-wrt). A lot of these are *wrong*, wondershaper, for
example, only recognized 64 byte acks. I think more than a few modems
do ack prioritization rather than "thinning".

thirdly, protocols such as QUIC are already sending less
acknowlegements per packet than most TCP do, which is a a good thing.

fourthly, I've been meaning to try thinning on wifi for a while. Wifi
has a problem in that only a fixed number of packets can fit
in a txop and everything in a txop is usually sent reliably.

Here's 5 days worth of data from one of my sites. It's not hugely
loaded in the uplink direction, but roughly 11% of all packets are
dropped.

qdisc cake 8007: dev eth0 root refcnt 9 bandwidth 9Mbit diffserv3 triple-isolate nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64
 Sent 13088217784 bytes 96513781 pkt (dropped 12173093, overlimits 155529797 requeues 558)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 558
 memory used: 1144944b of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 9Mbit
 min/max network layer size:           28 /    1500
 min/max overhead-adjusted size:       64 /    1518
 average network hdr offset:           14

                   Bulk  Best Effort        Voice
  thresh      562496bit        9Mbit     2250Kbit
  target         32.3ms        5.0ms        8.1ms
  interval      127.3ms      100.0ms      103.1ms
  pk_delay        4.7ms        2.0ms        709us
  av_delay        1.3ms        162us         69us
  sp_delay         50us          3us          3us
  backlog            0b           0b           0b
  pkts           150501    108280345       256028
  bytes       146280265  13846693704     40682021
  way_inds          181      7552458        26288
  way_miss         6579      1383844        20861
  way_cols            0            0            0
  drops             125         2682            0
  marks             171          277            0
  ack_drop            0     12170286            0
  sp_flows            2            5            0
  bk_flows            0            2            0
  un_flows            0            0            0
  max_len          4542        28766         2988
  quantum           300          300          300