[Ecn-sane] per-flow scheduling

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 00:31:02 EDT 2019

> On 18 Jul, 2019, at 1:18 am, David P. Reed <dpreed at deepplum.com> wrote:
>
> So what are we talking about here (ignoring the fine points of SCE, some of which I think are debatable - especially the focus on TCP alone, since much traffic will likely move away from TCP in the near future.

As a point of order, SCE is not specific to TCP.  TCP is merely the most convenient congestion-aware protocol to experiment with, and therefore the one we have adapted first.  Other protocols which already are (or aspire to be) TCP friendly, especially QUIC, should also be straightforward to adapt to SCE.

I should also note that TCP is the de-facto gold standard, by which all other congestion control is measured, for better or worse.  SCE is included in this, insofar as competing reasonably with standard TCP flows under all reasonable network conditions is necessary to introduce a new congestion control paradigm.  This, I think, is also part of the end-to-end principle.

 - Jonathan Morton