[Ecn-sane] is FQ actually widely deployed?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Jul 22 10:14:22 EDT 2019

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Dave Taht wrote:

> In particular conflating "low latency" really confounds the subject
> matter, and has for years. FQ gives "low latency" for the vast
> majority of flows running below their fair share. L4S promises "low

My observations from the business is that FQ just isn't a thing, in
reality.

I run CAKE myself here on my OpenWrt box and it works great, but I have
yet to find a commercially available box used by ISPs or something that is
a big-seller in electronics stores that use FQ_anything, or is even flow
aware when it comes to forwarding.

I have heard nothing about FQ being implemented in packet accelerators. I
do hear about people wanting to turn on things that control delay/buffer
fill, but this is still single queue with no flow-aware anything.

Do we have numbers on how much FQ is actually out there? If we don't, can
we measure it? Anyone know of devices shipping or being designed that does
FQ of some kind?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se