[Ecn-sane] is FQ actually widely deployed?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 13:09:17 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:14 AM Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > In particular conflating "low latency" really confounds the subject
> > matter, and has for years. FQ gives "low latency" for the vast
> > majority of flows running below their fair share. L4S promises "low
>
> My observations from the business is that FQ just isn't a thing, in
> reality.

It's not an easily discussed "thing". As one example of many, if there is
anybody out there in https://common.net/ 's service range that would
like to do some benchmarking...

FQ has always been part of meraki's products and ubnt's airmax. Meraki
does it a bit weirdly, doing sfq at a low level and codel via click.

> I run CAKE myself here on my OpenWrt box and it works great, but I have
> yet to find a commercially available box used by ISPs or something that is

It is certainly a sadness that more ISPs are not shipping gear that
does this at this point.
There are several I know of in addition to common and free.fr but
can't talk about it.

The biggest penetration is on QCA wifi'd devices where no
configuration is required.

> a big-seller in electronics stores that use FQ_anything, or is even flow
> aware when it comes to forwarding.

Hmm? Nearly everything derived from openwrt commercially has it. More
generally, debian linux derived
Google wifi, chromebooks, eero have publically disclosed their usage.

I have not purchased any newer routers in years, but I recently
configged a new synology
router for a friend, and it had "something" that did the right things,
packet captures were interleaved...

> I have heard nothing about FQ being implemented in packet accelerators. I
> do hear about people wanting to turn on things that control delay/buffer
> fill, but this is still single queue with no flow-aware anything.

This seems true.

> Do we have numbers on how much FQ is actually out there? If we don't, can
> we measure it? Anyone know of devices shipping or being designed that does
> FQ of some kind?

see above?

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com