[Ecn-sane] L4S Last Call session

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Jul 26 11:29:33 EDT 2019

Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> writes:

> I thought it wise to note here, for the information of interested
> parties, that a hearing on L4S' WGLC will take place during the
> opening of today's TSVWG session. The discussion points raised in
> advance are summarised in these slides prepared by David Black:
>
> 	https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/105/materials/slides-105-tsvwg-sessa-5-l4s-discussion-01
>
> Pete, Rod and I will of course be present, and we plan to raise
> several of these points in detail. I believe it is also possible to
> raise points from this list remotely. I think some people here are
> particularly interested in the final point on the list, about IPR.

Sadly the timing doesn't work out for remote participation for me. As
for the L4S IPR claims, I believe (after consultation with the Red Hat
legal council) the back-and-forth on the list have improved matters
somewhat by clarifying that there's a FRAND fallback to lessen the
leverage afforded by the termination clause. What this means is that the
IPR claim is now on par with what there's precedence for in IETF working
groups.

As for open source, though, I'm not sure that's enough. For Linux, any
remaining concerns could be cleared up by an updated upstream submission
by the patent holder, with a clear acknowledgement of the GPLv2 patent
grant. I plan to run this by the Red Hat council as well if and when
such a submission appears.

I don't feel competent to comment on where this leaves the BSDs (and
other non-GPL open source projects)...

-Toke