[Ecn-sane] [tsvwg] Compatibility with singlw queue RFC3168 AQMs

Black, David David.Black at dell.com
Fri Jul 26 15:58:12 EDT 2019

Sebastian,

Continuing with the official (officious?) response, in part as the author of RFC 8311 ...

> Am I correct in interpreting the following  sentence from RFC 8311:
> "ECN experiments are expected to coexist with deployed ECN
>    functionality, with the responsibility for that coexistence falling
>    primarily upon designers of experimental changes to ECN."
> as meaning, that L4S will need to implement the long discussed fall-back to
> RFC3168 compliant responses to CE marks, if a RFC3168 AQM is detected as
> being active on a path, and that L4S endpoint need to closely monitor for signs
> of RFC3168 behavior?

As RFC 8311 is a Proposed Standard RFC, the text quoted from that RFC "represents the consensus of the IETF community" (from "Status of This Memo" boilerplate in RFC 8311), and hence needs to be respected in the design of the L4S experiment.  I think the specific implications of that RFC 8311 text on the L4S experiment design are ultimately a technical matter for the WG to determine, but ignoring the quoted text would not be acceptable (and does not appear to be occurring).

Thanks, --David