[Ecn-sane] per-flow scheduling

Bob Briscoe ietf at bobbriscoe.net
Wed Jun 19 10:12:53 EDT 2019

Jake, all,

You may not be aware of my long history of concern about how per-flow
scheduling within endpoints and networks will limit the Internet in
future. I find per-flow scheduling a violation of the e2e principle in
such a profound way - the dynamic choice of the spacing between packets
- that most people don't even associate it with the e2e principle.

I detected that you were talking about FQ in a way that might have
assumed my concern with it was just about implementation complexity. If
you (or anyone watching) is not aware of the architectural concerns with
per-flow scheduling, I can enumerate them.

I originally started working on what became L4S to prove that it was
possible to separate out reducing queuing delay from throughput
scheduling. When Koen and I started working together on this, we
discovered we had identical concerns on this.

Bob