[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Mar 15 11:52:49 EDT 2019

Hi Dave,

> On Mar 15, 2019, at 15:06, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would really prefer to move this discussion to the ecn-sane mailing
> list, as IMHO, ecn is generally such a tiny thing needed for good
> congestion control compared to better transports like pacing + bbr,
> and things like bql, fq, and aqm using drop.
>
> I'm going to keep cc-ing that list in the hope that we can keep better
> track of the discussion here.

	Ah, sure, I basically wanted to avoid annoying the ietf lists as I feel out of place there, having only had a cursory read of the relevant RFCs.

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:01 AM Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I pruned the CC list as I am out of my league here and want to restrict the radius of my embarrassment to those that already know my level of incompetence before hand.
>
> IMHO, your work on educating the OpenWrt community over the years on
> how to use sqm, makes you much more than "only a grasshopper". You
> have a firm grip on what can be achieved in the real world.
>

>> That said, having read through the L4S architecture description and the related appendices of draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-05 I came to the conclusion, that this is a mess.
>
> I am so glad someone other than I has now read it.
>
>> The L4S project proposes a really wide-ranging change of basically the internet (but allow a concurrent operation with legacy probably to cater to the fact that an internet-wide flag-day seems daunting to organize). But then they chicken out when figuring out how to differentiate between their new and the old by proposing to use ECT(1) for a purpose outside of its nominal purpose namely explicit congestion notification, why not think bolder? If the plan is to change everything the feasibility can not hinge upon the ability to re-using one old legacy bit, can it...
>> Conceptually it seems much cleaner to use ECT(1) for congestion notification directly (there are already proposals out there and SCE just added another fully back-ward compatible one) and find another way to mark l4s traffic, sure that is going to be hard and inconvenient, but if you set out to change the internet that is par for the course.
>> IMHO they would do more good if they actually fought for a better use of the 6 DSCP bits instead. (say by splitting into two groups of 3 bits, one group for reduced diffserv and one group for new features, that would even
>
> The existing diffserv deployment is a failure.

	Which is a shame, but one RFC's failure is another one's opportunity.

> I have another ID
> cooking that suggests a better way, going forward, to use them, but I
> do not feel at this time it would be useful to present. One big battle
> at a time.

:)

> That ID is very simple, it basically proposes that all
> diffserv codepoints be passed through ISPs and transit providers
> unchanged, and if any given codepoint must be changed, the only
> permissible change is to 0 (BE), and MUST be not be remarked to
> anything else, especially not CS1.

	I like the simplicity, but I also like the split into two groups of 3 bits, say "active bit pattern" (for transport purposes) and "intenden bit pattern" for the sender to transmit intent, which than can be conveyed lossless to the receiver; my gut feeling is that throwing the transport people a bone here might work better, as in the end they are the one that will carry the "burden" of the change. IMHO this has the additional advantage that it will make "tabula rasa" of the existing distict set of bit patterns used in the real world. Which in turn probably is this ideas downfall...

>> allow for concurrent use of the inevitable L5S and L6S ;) ). Especially since as far as I can understand l4s actually would like to have a more gradual congestion information stream than classic ECN, and since they need to modify DCTCP anyway to make it save for the wider internet, replacing its ECN response should be well inside the scope of work they already have on their list.
>
> Next up for sce was going to be to find if dctcp could be modified to
> use it. Also, bittorrent.

	YES! I endorse this message.

>> If I sound a bit miffed, it is because after reading https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-03 I do not have the feeling they are trying to build abetter internet, but rather that they are building an internet where I can be a better "product" and customer of newfangled services, and I do not look forward to such a facebooky future with much enthusiasm.
>
> I have rigorously tried to keep the network neutrality debate out of
> this.

	And I really do not want to start this here, as I agree that this is about a technical question. That said, I had hoped more out of the l4s promises from an end-user perspective. Then again, it if this is going to happen it needs the ISPs buy-in so it might be politically wise to emphasize the advantages for ISPs.

> dualpi is just another aqm that needs the same thorough
> technical and public evaluation done to it that pie, codel, fq_codel
> were subjected to.

+1, I note that the main argument against fq is "we can do it with two" without a convincing argument why two is better than the few 100s you realistically will never need for fq even on an busy core router.

> The use of ect_1 in dualpi for it is nuts IMHO,

	At least it is unclean...

> and
> I'd vastly prefer that another L4S codepoint be added to make it work,
> but any attempt to do so would also require industry consolidation on
> that ID and that would be distracting at this time.

	But as I said, L4S aims to change everything so why stop there ;)

> It appears, also, ironically, (I have confirmation from several
> sources now) that cake, fq_codel and dualpi are now illegal for an ISP
> to use in their provided equipment under california law.

	I will happily look at specific sections of code if pointed to, but I will not actively search for. At least the European net neutrality rules do not make any of these illegal, as the rules allow for traffic management (and special services at extra cost as long as these are not built be restricting the best-effort net, no idea how that should be poiced) (and in the end the rules only apply for ISPs in one's own network one can DPI to a far greater extent if one is such inclined).

> The idea of
> one day having to appear in court to defend our key algorithms reminds
> me of the famous john fogerty case where he demonstrated how blues
> music was made.

	I see a nice art-house movie coming up.

> I wish I knew a lawyer willing to take on "bufferbloat.net vs the
> state of california", though, as it may come down to that.
>
> I blew up on this part of the issue here:
> http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/net_neutrality_customers/

	I read that, but it does not reflect to well on the situation this side of the pond. We had situations where ISPs worked hard (but without success) to switch from their flat-rate access to introduce volume caps, that served a dual purpose, a) extracting more revenue from customers and b) allowing to make "zero-rating" deals with content-providers (which in the end are also payed for by the end-users, indirectly). Sure, this is all normal in business, but that does not necessarily mean that I do need to like being a pawn in a business transaction between global corporations. (I consider this to be at least somewhat related to the net neutrality debate).

Best Regards
	Sebastian