[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Mar 15 14:36:53 EDT 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019, David P. Reed wrote:

> So if the responsible network engineers in the carriers cannot agree on
> anything, IETF is wasting its time.

The IETF has already said that anything diffserv is domain-internal only.
I have joined the effort of the LE PHB and see if we can get some kind of
agreement and transparancy for a PHB that is aimed at customer access only
and "drop most of me and my pals at any sign of customer access line
congestion", and see if that can be agreed on.

Having a "lower-than-best-effort" diffserve codepoint might work, because
it means worse treatment, not preferential treatment.

The problem with having DSCP CPs that indicate preferential treatment is
typically a ddos magnet. See my emails on this topic on (this? other?)
mailing lists where I try to create a three class buffering system saying
"LE gets 5%, BE and 'everything-else' gets to split the difference".

I even got pushback on this here, and then we're not even close to people
running large ISP networks who see ddos attacks happen hourly.

Saying L4S should "just use diffserv" is as constructive to say "go away
and pound a rock" or "we want that bit pattern so.. screw you".

L4S has a much better possibility of actually getting deployment into the
wider Internet packet-moving equipment than anything being talked about
here. Same with PIE as opposed to FQ_CODEL. I know it's might not be as
good, but it fits better into actual silicon and it's being proposed by
people who actually have better channels into the people setting hard
requirements.

I suggest you consider joining them instead of opposing them.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se