[Ecn-sane] proving out SCE

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:37:55 EDT 2019

> On 16 Mar, 2019, at 12:11 pm, Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net> wrote:
>
> I’m starting to read Jon’s proposal for modifying TCP CC for SCE (https://github.com/dtaht/bufferbloat-rfcs/blob/master/sce/ELR%20Proposal%203%20(TCP).txt), and get the (perhaps misplaced) feeling that it’s not that big a stretch to implement, and that proving basic efficacy may not be that hard. I’d like to do what I can to help before IETF, so please do post what needs doing, and meanwhile I’ll just keep reading.

It'd be really nice to have a complete proof-of-concept implementation that we can pull real numbers out of, even if it's just a bare-minimum spitball in ns-3 or the like.

There exists an implementation of COBALT in ns-3 now, though I doubt it's mainlined.  Adding a raw SCE threshold to that, or to the Codel implementation that *is* mainlined, should be easy.  Maybe adding support to NewReno in it would also be feasible?  Which option for sender feedback would be easiest in that context?

> p.s.- at least we don’t have to justify bifurcating Internet congestion control

That is certainly a major motivating factor.

 - Jonathan Morton