[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 18:03:49 EDT 2019

> On 16 Mar, 2019, at 11:38 pm, Holland, Jake <jholland at akamai.com> wrote:
>
> SCE needs a lot of details filled in, but it's so much cleaner that it
> seems to me there's reasonably obvious answers to all (or almost all) of
> those detail questions, and because the semantics are so much cleaner,
> it's much easier to tell it's non-harmful.

And we're actively working on filling in those details.  They haven't yet made it as far as an I-D, partly because we'd like to do at least some preliminary testing first.

> where does BBR fit into all this?

The present version of BBR, which I've actually seen, ignores ECN completely.  I'm told that the new version which I haven't yet seen, does *something* with ECN, but I'm unclear on what.  I think it'll be up to the BBR developers to decide how to incorporate SCE information, using conventional TCPs as a guide as to what is reasonable - or to ignore it, which is also a valid design choice.

 - Jonathan Morton