[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 14:00:50 EDT 2019

I helped land a more rfc - compliant version of pie into net-next late
last year.

ironically, we had one open bug re ecn -
https://github.com/gautamramk/FQ-PIE-for-Linux-Kernel/issues/2 -
docsis pie supported ecn not at all. I actually hold a good opinion of
pie - it is a good single queue aqm, more responsive to overload than
codel is. Which is why I worked on it to bring it up to spec finally.

Next up was polishing that version of fq-pie for linux inclusion. I
was unsure if it had the same codel-derived rate estimator as the bsd
one, because pie's original estimator fails with many queues. I always
wondered if that behavior would show up also in todays hw (64 on many
10GigE cards).

"Pie was added". Um, er, I (we) worked hard through 7 or so revisions
of the original quite crappy contractor written code, to make it
acceptable for mainline and for test. For free. In terms of billable
time, I was probably out $60k or more.

No "was" there. I know I shouldn't be resenting that phrasing, but I'd
like to obtain some credit for being fair and impartial. Also
thoroughly benchmarked it. and discarded it as I felt that a 5ms codel
target for good queue was better than a 20ms one for pie.

I'd offered multiple times to help fix up the dualpi code, but could
not look at it due to the frand patent, which I asked privately, be
removed.