[Ecn-sane] Fwd: [bbr-dev] Applying BBRv2 patches

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 05:24:09 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: 'Neal Cardwell' via BBR Development <bbr-dev at googlegroups.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: [bbr-dev] Applying BBRv2 patches
To: Jared Newman <jnewman2501 at gmail.com>
Cc: BBR Development <bbr-dev at googlegroups.com>

Hi,

For the patches in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbr-dev/8pgyOyUavvY there were
two main features:

(1) Higher throughput for wifi and other paths with aggregation

(2) Lower queuing delays by frequently draining excess in-flight data

For the patches related to (1), that functionality is already in
davem/net-next and torvalds/linux, as of recently, and those patches
will be in Linux 5.1. We were waiting until Linux 5.1 is released to
announce that on this e-mail list. But since it came up anyway, we may
as well mention it. ;-)

For the patches related to (2), that functionality is still undergoing
testing on YouTube and elsewhere.

If you want to apply the original patches from
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbr-dev/8pgyOyUavvY  then you
can apply them on top of the Linux commit:

18845557fd6f

from March 2018. That's where they were originally generated.

best,

neal

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM Jared Newman <jnewman2501 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey BBR-dev,
>
> I'm trying to apply the patches given in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbr-dev/8pgyOyUavvY, but am struggling to find what commit of next-net I should apply them on. I tried a couple different tags in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git but would always get conflicts that I didn't feel comfortable resolving. Does anyone have a suggestion / commit hash to apply them to?
>
> Cheers,
> Jared.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com