[Ecn-sane] Fwd: [bbr-dev] Re: Applying BBRv2 patches

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 05:26:35 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: 'Neal Cardwell' via BBR Development <bbr-dev at googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [bbr-dev] Re: Applying BBRv2 patches
To: Jeremy Payne <jp557198 at gmail.com>
Cc: BBR Development <bbr-dev at googlegroups.com>

Hi,

The enhancements that we have been calling "BBR v2" are still under
testing, and have not been posted yet. For BBR v2, we sketched out an
overview and some lab test results at IETF 102 (links here). We'll be
giving a quick update about that effort at the ICCRG session at IETF
104 in a few weeks.

For Linux TCP BBR, the most recent upstream patches of interest are
for improving performance with high degrees of aggregation (as in
wifi, cellular, cable modems, LRO/GRO, etc) on low-RTT paths. The
biggest impacts we have seen are cases with wifi links where the
two-way propagation delay is in the range 1-10ms, so that would be a
scenario to start with, for testing. Those patches are discussed here:
  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/bbr-dev/kBZaq98xCC4/5EUi7c3MCgAJ
Keep in mind those patches are not in 5.0.2. They will be in 5.1, or
if you have the option of building custom kernels then you can
cherry-pick them on top of your 5.0.2.

thanks,
neal

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:34 AM Jeremy Payne <jp557198 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been following developments here, and I'm now considering soaking BBR on one of our production machines.
> Question is, it seems there are some outstanding issues with BBR that may affect network/application response times.
> Before soaking in production, are there any suggested tests I can run in the lab that show performance impacts without the
> BBR2 patches, and then show performance improvements with the BBR2 patches?
>
> Primary use case is live MPEG-DASH/HLS video delivery.
>
> I plan on testing against a kernel that doesnt contain these patches, 4.14.106, and a kernel that looks to contain most of the BBR2 patches, 5.0.2
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 12:09:22 AM UTC-5, Jared Newman wrote:
>>
>> Hey BBR-dev,
>>
>> I'm trying to apply the patches given in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbr-dev/8pgyOyUavvY, but am struggling to find what commit of next-net I should apply them on. I tried a couple different tags in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git but would always get conflicts that I didn't feel comfortable resolving. Does anyone have a suggestion / commit hash to apply them to?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jared.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com