[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 19:59:29 EDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:44 AM Greg White <g.white at cablelabs.com> wrote:

> That is ridiculous.
>

> You clearly haven’t read the drafts, and so are speaking from a position of ignorance.  Please get informed before making statements like this.

I've read all the drafts, 3 times, and made pithy comments when they
came out. I've been trying to get other knowlegable people in the
daily grind of modern DC netops to read them also for years. I hope
more, now do.

> There is *absolutely* nothing cable-specific or “private” about L4S.  It is being developed in an open forum, the IETF!!   Yes, the cable industry is adopting L4S – because we recognized its potential.  Others are too, and anyone can.  It is a totally open spec, and has been since the initial drafts came out of the RITE project.  The cable industry was not involved in RITE (in fact the technology was first demonstrated on DSL equipment), and we learned about L4S when the rest of the world did.  We decided to become early adopters.  Yes, we were quiet about the fact that we were planning on adopting it (until now).
>

> If individuals drop out of participating in the IETF, they shouldn’t be upset if the IETF continues to make progress on developing Internet technology in their absence.  It seems pretty disingenuous for DT to form his own private working group to come up with an incompatible, and limited, alternative to the ongoing work in IETF, then spring it on the IETF and start this FUD war.

We announced it publicly back in august with our charter and goals on
bloat and aqm mailing lists.

Nobody spoke up then saying l4s was still alive either in the ietf or privately.

We published a charter and outline of scope:
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/ecn-sane/wiki/

And we formed into teams:
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/ecn-sane/wiki/rules/

And published position papers.

6 months of work on dealing with ecn issues finally has as it's first
result, the SCE draft.

You calling me disingenuous is disingenuous.

> The craziest thing about this whole thread is that there is a heck of a lot in common between L4S and SCE.

Yep, they do!

Yes, I think we achieved consensus long ago that a single queued AQM
cannot work with an earlier indication of congestion than drop without
changing the endpoints. We also achieved consensus that an earlier
congestion notification was potentially useful in some respects.

Repurposing CE, and using up ECT_1, was all that was on the table before.

>More in common than different.  My initial belief was that we all had similar goals (eliminating buffering latency in the internet) and we’d be able to achieve a meeting of the minds on the best way to use ECT(1) to achieve it.

If I could merely have got the cable industry to reduce the buffering
in their cmts ends from 600+ms to 100ms in the last 8 years, I'd have
been happy.

Two things. 1)  I believe - along with just about everybody I know in
the DC business - few that have bothered to think of ecn at all -
(none have deployed it). In every conversation about l4s is the
presumption that the other person i the conversation already thinks
ecn is a good idea. I know a lot of people that don't think it is. Me,
when it comes to ECN I am firmly on the yellow team - chicken - see
above position paper - in general.

2) Bufferbloat.net deployed solutions starting in 2012 that work for
fixing both inbound and outbound buffering. We shipped sch_cake in
august after 3 years of deployment testing.  I would rather like y'all
to add sch_cake to your test matrix.

> Now, I’m not so sure what DT’s motivation is.

My motivation is always to eliminate bufferbloat and build a better
internet. It's the motto on my patreon page.

> If I can boil this down for the people who are jumping into this without reading the drafts:
>

> Both L4S and SCE are attempting to provide congestion-controlled senders with better congestion signals so that flows can achieve link capacity without buffering delay.
> Both are proposing to use ECT(1) as part of the mechanism, but to use it in different ways.

ECT(1) from a unwritten, specialized tcp that is incompatible with
BBR, Cubic, and Reno.

ECT(1) from a well established, shipping AQM.

> SCE’s usage of ECT(1) potentially allows an automatic fallback to traditional Cubic behavior if the bottleneck link is a single-queue classic-ECN AQM (do any of these exist?), whereas L4S will need to detect such a condition via RTT measurement

Strike "potentially". Does. Instead of writing further emails, I'm
focusing on patching tcptrace and xplot to show this clearly from
packet captures. Perhaps that will be ready by the hackathon.

> L4S’s usage of ECT(1) allows links to identify new senders and take advantage of new sender features like reordering tolerance that can further drive down latency in many common link technologies.

There's nothing in SCE that stops the exact same idea, except that the
behavior is chosen reciever side, not sender side.

> SCE will only work if the bottleneck link implements fq.  Some bottleneck network gear will not be able to implement fq or will not implement it due to its undesirable side effects (see section 6 of RFC 8290).

This is overbroad.

And I didn't write that section.

> L4S will work if the bottleneck link implements *either* fq or dual queue.

And this is not a demonstrated fact yet - *at all*  that needs to
yield to experiment and independent analysis.

That's a good start actually to writing up a good comparison document.
I'll save that and work on it, if
I get a talk slot for it.

> Beyond that, they are *very,very* similar.

Yes!

> But, L4S has been demonstrated in real equipment and in simulation, and leverages an existing congestion

Not under circumstances I can control. That's Not Science.

>controller that is available in Linux and Windows (with some tweaks).

SCE improves on an existing AQM that the default in roughly 100% of
linux deployments now, all the way up to the new RHEL8 release, which
was the last distro to adopt it, so far as I know. It doesn't require
a specialized tcp to use, either.

>  SCE leverages a paragraph in a draft that describes a first guess about how a congestion controller might work.

We were kind of in a hurry. 'round here, we usually write the code and
test it thoroughly for years, before submitting a draft.

We did part of this work originally with the original definition of
ce_threshold (back in 2013?) when we too had fiddled with DCTCP,
before pacing and BBR had arrived.

Running code is up on several servers now and we hope to have a live
test over the internet at ietf. Maybe tcp-fu will land. Hopefully
tcp-prague will land.

> L4S has defined a congestion feedback mechanism so that these congestion signals can get back to the sender.  SCE offers that “we’ll propose something later”.
>

> BBR currently does not listen to explicit congestion signals, but it could be updated to do so (for either SCE or L4S).
>

> -Greg
>

> From: Bloat <bloat-bounces at lists.bufferbloat.net> on behalf of "David P. Reed" <dpreed at deepplum.com>
> Date: Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 12:07 PM
> To: Vint Cerf <vint at google.com>
> Cc: bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net>, "ecn-sane at lists.bufferbloat.net" <ecn-sane at lists.bufferbloat.net>
> Subject: Re: [Bloat] [Ecn-sane] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104
>

> Vint -
>

> BBR is the end-to-end control logic that adjusts the source rate to match the share of the bolttleneck link it should use.
>

> It depends on getting reliable current congestion information via packet drops and/or ECN.
>

> So the proposal by these guys (not the cable guys) is an attempt to improve the quality of the congestion signal inserted by the router with the bottleneck outbound link.
>

> THe cable guys are trying to get a "private" field in the IP header for their own use.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740