[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [tsvwg] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 20 19:30:51 EDT 2019

Hi Jake,

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 00:11, Holland, Jake <jholland at akamai.com> wrote:
>
> I think it's a fair point that even as close as the non-home side
> of the access network, fq would need a lot of queues, and if you
> want something in hardware it's going to be tricky.  I hear
> they're up to an average of ~6k homes per OLT.

	Except they state "In practice it would also be important to de- ploy AQM in the residential gateway, but to minimise side-effects we kept upstream traffic below capacity." meaning in addition to the OLT/BNG/whatever shaper they also envision a shaper on the CPE. And I believe there is ample evidence (in openwrt with sqm-scripts) that in that case the downstream shaper can also be put on the CPE with reasonable success.

> I don't think the default assumption here should be that they
> missed something obvious, but rather that they're trying to
> solve a hard problem, and something with a classifier has a
> legitimate value.

	I agree, except ECT(1) clearly is a very approximate "classifier" as it can not distinguish the L4S-ness of CE marked packets, which affects both the AQM part which will treat non-L4S traffic as false positive as well as TCP Prague endpoints that will mistreat CE-marked packets as L4S signals even if the CE mark is from a TCP-friendly AQM. I note that neither "‘Data Centre to the Home’: Ultra-Low Latency for All" nor "PI2: A Linearized AQM for both Classic and Scalable TCP" seem to discuss these classification errors and their effects on real traffic in sufficient depth.
It is one thing to soak of one of the last few available "codepoints" in the IP headers, but it is another in my book to do so and not reliably being able to extract the encoded information. At least from my layman's perspective I wonder why this does not seem to bother anybody here?

> The question to me is about how much it breaks other things to
> extract that value, and how much you get out of it in the end.

	That is basically the core of my question above, how much do you get out in the end?

>  If you need fq and therefore the only viable place for AQM with good
> results is on the home side of the router, that's got some bad
> deployment problems too.

	As I state above, even the L4S project position seems to be that AQM on the CPE/router is essential, so we are only haggling about how much AQM needs to be done on the router. But from that perspective, I would not be unhappy if my ISP would employ a lower latency AQM solution upstream of my router than they currently do, sort of as a belt and suspender approach to have my router's back in cases of severe packet inrush.

Best Regards
	Sebastian