[Ecn-sane] travel funds for ietf for the next SCE talk?

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Fri May 10 09:47:06 EDT 2019

Although this is a side issue....

> On May 10, 2019, at 2:17 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unlike all the other conferences we attend, speakers are not
> recompensed for their costs in the IETF, either.

Speakers at conferences are not compensated. They register like everyone else - that has been ACM, IEEE, IFiP, and OSA policy - I know because in some cases, I *wrote* the policy. Students are typically required to register at the full rate if they present. In the majority of cases, even the chairs pay their own way or at best are comp’d registration.

Speakers at trade shows are paid, as are some (but not all) keynotes and tutorial presenters.  The latter often get only honoraria and a comp’d reg, not enough for travel/lodging in most cases.

The only  people who get a fully free ride that I know of are the IEEE Comsoc Board.

Joe