[Ecn-sane] Questions about TSVWG call

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:28:58 EDT 2020

Folks,

I have been a bystander in these discussions, and could only listen in to part of the TSVWG conference call. But here are a couple questions that come to mind from what (I think) I heard...

1) Has anyone run RRUL tests on L4S gear? What would be involved setting up such a test? Why hasn't it already been done?

2) If I understand correctly, the L4S proposal is to use the ECT(1) bit as an input to the routing algorithm. If it's set, the router can assume that it's latency-sensitive traffic and use special routing rules/queues/etc. How does L4S guard against DoS/cheating? Has such a proposal been implemented and tested?

3) The L4S proposal is designed to decrease latency. Can there be a successful L4S deployment in the face of the millions of current CPE that have no notion of latency control?

4) I have a personal bias toward helping people with dreadfully slow ISP service. (My home can only get 7mbps/768kbps DSL; others in my town only get 3mbps/500kbps service.) Does L4S help for slow links like these?

Forgive me if this is all common knowledge, or if answers have been summarized elsewhere. (I would love to have a link.) Thanks.

Rich