[Ecn-sane] 2019-12-31 docsis strict priority dual queue patent granted

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jan 24 03:01:27 EST 2020

Hi Jonathan,

> On Jan 24, 2020, at 08:44, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24 Jan, 2020, at 7:37 am, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Otherwise, this exemplary embodiment enables system configuration to
>> discard the low-priority packet tail, and transmit the high-priority
>> packet instead, without waiting."
>
> So this really *is* a "fast lane" enabling technology.  Just as we suspected.

	They seem to be setting their customers up for a head-on collision with the European Union's net neutrality rules, according to which "special services/fast lanes" are permissible under the condition thay they are realized with completely dedicated addition bandwidth. Just looking at their patent diagram there is one common input path to the classifier. So either that fast lane is not going to be a paid for fast lane, or the ISPs rolling this out will be in hot water with the respective national regulators (at least in the EU). The one chance would be to give the end-user control over the classification engine, or if the strict priority path is only used for ISP originated VoIP traffic (I seem to recall there are weasel words in the EU rules that would allow that and ISPs are doing something like that already, and I agree that it is nice to be able to field an emergency call independent of access link load).

Best Regards
	Sebastian