[Ecn-sane] IETF 110 quick summary

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Tue Mar 9 03:21:46 EST 2021

On Mon, 2021-03-08 at 15:57 -0800, Dave Taht wrote:
> Thx very much for the update. I wanted to note that
> preseem does a lot of work with wisps and I wish they'd share more
> data on it, as well as our ever present mention of free.fr.
>
> Another data point is that apple's early rollout of ecn was kind of
> a failure, and there are now so many workarounds in the os for it as
> to make coherent testing impossible.

Is there any info on what way it was a failure, or what workarounds
there are?

> I do wish there was more work on ecn enabling bbr, as presently
> it does negotiate ecn often and then completely ignores it. You can
> see this in traces from dropbox in particular.

I haven't tested BBR but briefly. I'd expect:
- BBR harming itself through fq_codel as TCP RTT goes up, but if it
also uses that as a signal to back off, I don't know the end result
- Harm to competing traffic in a tunnel through fq_codel