[Ecn-sane] IETF 110 quick summary

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Tue Mar 9 03:43:48 EST 2021

On Tue, 2021-03-09 at 02:13 +0000, Holland, Jake wrote:
> The presentations were pretty great, but they were really short
> on time.  In the chat a person or 2 was surprised about the way
> L4S will impact NECT competing traffic when competing in a queue.
> I agree some of the people who have tuned out the discussion are
> learning things from these presentations, and I thought Jonathan's
> slot was a good framing of the real question, and Pete's study was
> also very helpful.

I'm glad to hear that. At least it adds something to your work before,
from a different vantage point, albeit much smaller. I know that
studies from entirely disinterested parties would be good too, but that
might the hard part, they're disinterested! :)

> I seem to recall a thread in the wake of Apple's ECN enabling about
> one of the Linux distros considering turning ECN on by default for
> outbound connections, in which one of them found that it completely
> wrecked his throughput, and so it got tabled with unfortunately
> no pcap posted.
>
> Any recollection of where that was?  I was guessing it might be
> one of the misbehaviors from the network that Apple encountered.

That is odd and would be good to know about. I enabled ECN on my Linux
laptop a long time ago and haven't noticed a problem that I'm aware of.
I wish the distros would reconsider enabling it, unless there are
active reasons it shouldn't be deployed, but they may now just be in a
holding pattern on it.