[Ecn-sane] paper idea: praising smaller packets

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Wed Sep 29 15:34:22 EDT 2021

Jonathan  - I pretty much agree with most of what you say here. However, two things:

1) a router that has only one flow at a time traversing it is not a router. It's just a link that runs at memory speed in between two links. A degenerate case.

2) The start of my email - about the fact that each outbound link must be made to clear (with no queued traffic) within a copper or fiber speed circuit of the earth (great circle route) - is my criterion for NOT being 100% utilized.  But it's a description that focuses on latency and capacity in a single measure.
It's very close to 100% utilized. (this satisfies your concern about supporting low bit rates at the edges, but in a very different way).

The problem with links is that they can NEVER be utilized more than 100%. So utilization is a TERRIBLE metric for thinking about the problem.

I didn't mean this as a weird joke - I'm very serious. utilization is just the wrong measure. And so is end-to-end latency average - averages are not meaningful in a fat-tailed traffic distribution, no matter how you compute them, and average latency is a very strange characterization, since most paths actually have no traffic because each endpoint only uses a small subset of paths.

Once upon a time I thought that all links should be capped at average utilization of 10% or 50%. But in fact that is a terrible measure too - averages are a bad metric, for the same reason.

Instead, operationally it is OK for a link to be "almost full", as long as the control protocols create openings frequently enough to mitigate latency issues.

(Side note: If you want to understand really deeply why "averages" are a terrible statistic for networking, I recommend reading Nassim Taleb's book about pre-asymptotic behavior of random systems and the problem of applying statistical measures to systems that are not "in equilibrium" - [ https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.10488 ]( https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.10488 ) . Seriously! It's tough sledding, sound math, and very enlightening. Much of what he says can be translated into the world of real networking and queueing. Sadly, most queueing theory doesn't touch on pre-asymptotic behavior, but instead assumes that the asymptotic behavior of a queueing system characterizes the normal behavior. )
(some people try to say that network traffic is "fractal", which is actually unreasonable - most protocols behave highly deterministically, and there's no "self-similarity" inherent in end-to-end flow statistics, no power laws, ...)