[LibreQoS] Before/After Performance Comparison (Monitoring Mode)

Herbert Wolverson herberticus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:23:09 EST 2022

Re A) - we could all benefit from switching to French, where "libre" and
"livre" are
different words, with different connotations. English has really mangled
this one.
"Free" can be "freedom" or "no cost", liberty somehow became "freedom" in a
lot of minds (to the chagrin of those of us with Political Science
degrees), and "open"
can mean anything from "look but don't touch" to "public domain". Ugh.
We're stuck with the language we have, Libre works for me.

Less code is generally a good thing. It can be a balance; e.g. more code
fleshing
out an API usually means much less code using it.

Qosify:

I gave Qosify a once-over, very quickly (short on time). It'll be worth
going over it
again in more detail.
The lack of comments makes it heavy-going. It seems to be focused on a
smaller
router at home, building a simple queue (assuming local NAT) and attaching
a Cake
qdisc?
The "magic" I'm seeing is that the BPF program looks at flows to change
DSCP flags by connection bytes (I thought Cake was already classifying
by reading ConnTrack data?). I get the feeling I'm missing something.

Re B) - I've been wondering that, too. It's not an easy one to profile,
kernel-side
profiling is hard enough without adding in eBPF! It's definitely worth
digging
into.

C) is a whole other future discussion, and I feel I've talked enough about
D).