[LibreQoS] libreqos vs a vs paraqum

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 12:13:58 EST 2022

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 8:44 AM Stephen Hemminger
<stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 07:54:02 -0800
> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I (personally) have zero interest in dpdk and vpp. I don't want to
> > give up all the other nifty things a linux box can do by using it, so
> > I followed along on the xdp work - but I concede that these
> > technologies are probably always going to be faster than xdp, and
> > there are a ton of products deployed using it. I'd hoped someone would
> > fund open sourcing a fq_codel or cake implementation for it. (Same
> > goes for freebsd and pfsense which could use a native BQL + fq_codel
> > implementation. The BSD packet buffering scheme is really alien to
> > me). DPDK and vpp were born of the recognition that with conventional
> > processors, the bottleneck is more on the read side than the write
> > side, once you crack 10gbit.
>
> Linux and BSD has to solve the general purpose problem (lots of devices, any application, etc)
> and therefore has lots of locking an other overhead. All that overhead keeps
> it in the 1 to 4 Million packets/second/core forwarding range.  With BPF some
> of this can be bypassed but then most of the interesting stuff is gone and still
> limited to 10Mpps.

All I really want is for some ethernet card to actually be able to
pick a cpu to interrupt based on LPM.
Why is even a small amount of CAM so hard?? some card must do this...

> The dedicated stuff gets much higher PPS but at a cost, limited HW suppor,
> no generic locking etc.
>
> Doing research before diving into CAKE on DPDK, the real issue is that there
> is no supported flow classification model in DPDK. There was a limited/dead library
> and doing the full classification like Linux gets harder.

I thought the panda flow dissector held great promise, generally, for
all OSes, in userspace, and even in FPGAs and chips.

https://www.sipanda.io/post/blog_aug_04

No?

--
This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz