[LibreQoS] In BPF pping - so far

Herbert Wolverson herberticus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 21:59:00 EDT 2022

Hey,

I've had some pretty good success with merging xdp-pping (
https://github.com/xdp-project/bpf-examples/blob/master/pping/pping.h )
into xdp-cpumap-tc ( https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-cpumap-tc ).

I ported over most of the xdp-pping code, and then changed the entry point
and packet parsing code to make use of the work already done in
xdp-cpumap-tc (it's already parsed a big chunk of the packet, no need to do
it twice). Then I switched the maps to per-cpu maps, and had to pin them -
otherwise the two tc instances don't properly share data. Right now, output
is just stubbed - I've still got to port the perfmap output code. Instead,
I'm dumping a bunch of extra data to the kernel debug pipe, so I can see
roughly what the output would look like.

With debug enabled and just logging I'm now getting about 4.9 Gbits/sec on
single-stream iperf between two VMs (with a shaper VM in the middle). :-)

So my question: how would you prefer to receive this data? I'll have to
write a daemon that provides userspace control (periodic cleanup as well as
reading the performance stream), so the world's kinda our oyster. I can
stick to Kathie's original format (and dump it to a named pipe, perhaps?),
a condensed format that only shows what you want to use, an efficient
binary format if you feel like parsing that...

(I'll post some code soon, getting sleepy)

Thanks,
Herbert