[LibreQoS] In BPF pping - so far

Herbert Wolverson herberticus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:45:31 EDT 2022

Hey,

My current (unfinished) progress on this is now available here:
https://github.com/thebracket/cpumap-pping-hackjob

I mean it about the warnings, this isn't at all stable, debugged - and
can't promise that it won't unleash the nasal demons
(to use a popular C++ phrase). The name is descriptive! ;-)

With that said, I'm pretty happy so far:

* It runs only on the classifier - which xdp-cpumap-tc has nicely shunted
onto a dedicated CPU. It has to run on both
  the inbound and outbound classifiers, since otherwise it would only see
half the conversation.
* It does assume that your ingress and egress CPUs are mapped to the same
interface; I do that anyway in BracketQoS. Not doing
  that opens up a potential world of pain, since writes to the shared maps
would require a locking scheme. Too much locking, and you lose all of the
benefit of using multiple CPUs to begin with.
* It is pretty wasteful of RAM, but most of the shaper systems I've worked
with have lots of it.
* I've been gradually removing features that I don't want for BracketQoS. A
hypothetical future "useful to everyone" version wouldn't do that.
* Rate limiting is working, but I removed the requirement for a shared
configuration provided from userland - so right now it's always set to
report at 1 second intervals per stream.

My testbed is currently 3 Hyper-V VMs - a simple "client" and "world", and
a "shaper" VM in between running a slightly hacked-up LibreQoS.
iperf from "client" to "world" (with Libre set to allow 10gbit/s max, via a
cake/HTB queue setup) is around 5 gbit/s at present, on my
test PC (the host is a core i7, 12th gen, 12 cores - 64gb RAM and fast SSDs)

Output currently consists of debug messages reading:
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   515.399222: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Flow open event
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   515.399239: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 374696
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   515.399466: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Flow open event
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   515.399475: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 247069
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   516.405151: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 5217155
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   517.405248: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 4515394
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   518.406117: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 4481289
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   519.406255: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 4255268
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   520.407864: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 5249493
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   521.406664: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 3795993
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   522.407469: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 3949519
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   523.408126: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 4365335
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   524.408929: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 4154910
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   525.410048: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send performance event (5,1), 4405582
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   525.434080: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send flow event
  cpumap/0/map:4-1371    [000] D..2.   525.482714: bpf_trace_printk: (tc)
Send flow event

The times haven't been tweaked yet. The (5,1) is tc handle major/minor,
allocated by the xdp-cpumap parent.
I get pretty low latency between VMs; I'll set up a test with some
real-world data very soon.

I plan to keep hacking away, but feel free to take a peek.

Thanks,
Herbert