[LibreQoS] Rain Fade (was Ack-filtering)

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 09:25:08 EDT 2022

LTU.. huge potential but majorly flawed product line.  We've stopped all
LTU deployments because every site we built we'd watch the modulations
slide down over time.  Every new netgear router in a neighborhood
(practically...) takes modulations down a step.  Too many mornings hunting
for a new usable channel because of a new source of noise and
LTU's inability to cope with it at all.  We have mixed sites with airmax
and LTU and the airmax outperforms the LTU because of these issues.  We
even see more rain fade on LTU than airmax because it's so bad with
multipathing.  Any fresnel infraction and LTU degrades at 2-3x the rate
that airmax does.

Wave's 16 client limitation is a challenge, looking forward to the mesh
units (omni).  We don't have any saturated APs yet but I'm sure that's
coming.  Doing a 6 AP 180 degree deployment next week and hoping to get
near 100 subs directly off of that in ~2 months.

I'm holding some of that AX gear in hand... no AP to compare against though
:/  High hopes considering what we get out of force 4xx which is 'plain'
AX.  I don't know how soon we'll see something, zero FCC leaks on a new AP
so kinda waiting on that.

I sht on ubiquiti a lot, mostly because the company likes to pull the rug
on customers and leave them with obsolete hardware and perpetual bugs, and
doesn't seem to ask any operators what we need, and the list goes on.  That
said, it's far faster and easier to deploy ubiquiti gear than anything
else. Installers love it.  The price is great.  If UI drops a 4x4-8x8 90
degree AX AP we will almost certainly go that route over cambium.

I've run or am running most brands out there with few exceptions.  Frankly,
we're getting just as good or better performance out of ubiquiti gear that
cambium and have a lower failure rate.

We also run Baicells LTE in CBRS, and 450i/450m in CBRS and we're getting
more data through the LTE product than the cambium in nLoS.  In LoS 450i
delivers about 50% more and latency is half.  HATE the 450i/450m
interface.  1995.  finicky products as well, mumimo only working with many
subs and evenly spread over a 90 degree arc which rarely fits our
deployments.  450 gear is a huge letdown for us.  450m can deliver really
well if conditions are right, but if they're not then it's a huge expense
for little gain.

Have held out hope that Mikrotik would show up to the AX race but nothing
really there.  I have a decent sized single radio mesh network on Mikrotik
Omnitiks that is working really well.  Using some wireless wire shots to
shorten mesh paths up a bit.  Sell 25Mbps plans off those in a low income
area.  It's a wave1 AC wireless driver so some pitfalls there, but their
newer drivers don't support 802.11s or WDS yet so can't upgrade.  Would
really love to find a dual radio openwrt AX box to run batman-adv on for a
dual radio mesh but haven't found such a thing yet.