[LibreQoS] how are you doing on ipv4 address supply?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Oct 26 16:52:31 EDT 2022

Robert Chacón via LibreQoS <libreqos at lists.bufferbloat.net> writes:

> I'd prefer simple routing, but with IPv4 exhaustion - that would lead to a
> lot of unused RFC6598 addresses (and hence high CG-NAT ratios).

Note that it's possible to route IPv4 traffic over an IPv6-only backhaul
(at least with Linux gear):

# ip r add 10.0.0.1 via inet6 fe80::1 dev wg0
# ip r | grep 10.0.0.1
10.0.0.1 via inet6 fe80::1 dev wg0

There's an (expired, unfortunately; we should fix that) IETF draft
describing the general mechanism:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-chroboczek-int-v4-via-v6-01.html

And an extension for the Babel routing protocol to implement this (so
you can route v4 traffic through a whole network without assigning
anything other than v6 link-local addresses to the intermediate nodes):

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9229

-Toke