[LibreQoS] routing protocols and daemons

Mark Steckel mjs at phillywisper.net
Thu Oct 27 11:29:10 EDT 2022

Herbert,

Great info!   (And just a quick shout out that this has quickly become the best signal to noise email list of any I'm currently on. Really appreciate the expertise and depth of knowledge. Thanks everyone!)

I also really like OSPF except when it goes wonky on me...

I've been struggling with a OSPF issue for awhile and can't seem to track down the source (other than generically grousing at Ubnt's firmware and software development practices). The short version of the story is that the ospfd process consumes 100% cpu and starts consuming memory which it is eventually exhausted. When this happens usually 2 or more routers are involved. My working theory is that the routers involved are caught in an OSPF update storm. Our internal router table is not horribly large.

mjs at PWTW04-NNNN-STREET-ST-RTR:~$ show ip route summary
IP routing table name is Default-IP-Routing-Table(0)
IP routing table maximum-paths   : 8
Total number of IPv4 routes      : 861
Total number of IPv4 paths       : 861
Route Source    Networks
connected       9
ospf            852
Total           861
FIB             852

I am slowly replacing all Ubnt routers at major sites with VyOS on DC powered Supermicro servers. So far, really liking VyOS. Example: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E300-9D-8CN8TP.cfm

A bit more below.

---- On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 09:29:22 -0400 Herbert Wolverson via LibreQoS  wrote ---

 > OSPF is a pretty stable protocol, so it doesn't change all that much (one of the reasons I like it is that it is supported everywhere, and works cross-vendor consistently). In answer to your questions:
 >
 > * With OSPFv3 you can push IPv6 routes. I've only used this a bit, but it worked fine last time we tried it.
 > * You have a fair amount of flexibility on how hops talk to one another (configured on the interface). The default is still multicast, but "point-to-point" is just a unicast broadcast (and VERY fast route coalescing; it's our default),

A few years ago I briefly looked at these config options but I never implemented anything. This morning I updated 2 routers to your "point-to-point" (I think...). Is anything more than the following needed on both routers (adjusting for ports, etc)?

set interfaces ethernet eth1 ip ospf network point-to-point

> "point-to-multipoint" can do the same for 1:many relationships (I don't use this one, I prefer one interface to one destination - even if the interfaces are VLANs. Makes traffic analysis a whole lot easier). There's also NBMA, which has you type in the addresses of adjacent neighbors (which feels like it defeats some of the point!) - but doesn't even broadcast.

At major sites, we typically have 2 routers running in an active-active manner: router-1 has a.b.c.2, router-2 has a.b.c.3 and vrrp is used to float a.b.c.1 between both routers.

Is "point-to-multpoint" required in this situation?

> There was a time that NBMA was the most consistent over old Ubiquiti equipment, but these days the other modes work fine.
 > * ECMP (Equal Cost Multipath) is awesome. If two routes to the destination sum out at equal costs, traffic is split equally between them. Traffic is split at layer 3 (on an address-port hash), so flows stay together. It's rock solid, we have it sharing traffic over two backhauls in a few places - and it handles one interface going down flawlessly (with either BFD, or point-to-point mode which coalesces so fast).
 >
 > Dijkstra's algorithm remains a very natural approach to mapping a graph (I've waxed lyrical about it in various book/article/blog posts over the years in the game-dev world), so I find it a very comfy way to model the underlying network. Very easy to reason "this will go that way".
 >
 > So what's bad about it?
 >
 > * ECMP is equal; if you have routes with different costs it will only use the lowest cost - it won't try and "mesh" some of the traffic in other directions. Likewise, if you have two equal routes - and one of them is running at a low capacity - you wind up only utilizing twice the capacity of the slowest link. You're often better off dropping the link over the degraded circuit (hence "carrier drop" features on various radios).
 > * OSPF has no idea what the capacities of various links are. It'll use the shortest cost route, and leave the details up to the lower layers of the stack.
 >
 > There have been various attempts to integrate capacity into network design, and I've yet to see one that holds up well on a multi-vendor network. If you ask a Ubiquiti Rocket AC Gen2 its capacity, it'll often give you some nice big number - but it'll stall out far before that number. The Force 400C link we just put up doesn't even try to estimate its capacity. So multi-vendor mesh routing tends to be problematic, because the advertised capability of "we'll utilize everywhere you have capacity" tends to get snarled up in figuring out what the capacity is. I understand Teragraph is supposed to do better there. MPLS traffic engineering was originally announced as solving this one, too! I don't see a lot of  hope for capacity-aware routing protocols taking off, but I imagine we'll get a few new ones announced and then quietly forgotten as before.
 >
 > And lastly: once your network gets really big, OSPF tables can get too large - and you're stuck either dividing your OSPF zones and/or using some BGP in interior mode. You can mitigate this with some careful design.

What is typically considered "too large" and how does "too large" type problems typically show up?

Thanks
Mark