[LibreQoS] routing protocols and daemons

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 10:13:06 EDT 2022

Keep in mind that often (wisps:  mikrotik, ubiquiti) run gear that often
have mediocre implementations of OSPF (and other protocols) and the
products are made to be as cheap as possible so hardware issues are more
likely than an enterprise vendor.

I field a lot of OSPF questions in support forums and they usually come
down to automatic IDs being set incorrectly because admin didn't set
them.... or the big ticket item being MTU.   MTU on the router's interface,
MTU issues on the radio links, or radios that say one MTU and aren't
passing it for some reason.  Also attempts to use broadcast and that being
unreliable over wireless networks.  Those things kinda make OSPF 'finicky'.

I would very much prefer ISIS for a number of reasons, mainly around
simplicity and reduction of finicky issues and dedicated PTP subnets and
configs etc.  ISIS is not available on mikrotik or ubiquiti products so
there you go.

Ultimately though, these are just shortest hop path builders and need some
other kit on top of them to do any sort of traffic engineering or load
balancing.  ECMP doesn't work for me, and doesn't work for a lot of wisps
so much so that after they've spent the time and effort to implement, they
undo it because different link characteristics make ECMP wreck their
customer's experience.  The 'E' for equal also is a PITA, requiring you to
start stacking up VLANs for example to get a ratio of 'ECMP' across
disimmilar links.