[LibreQoS] Fwd: an alternate statistics

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 11:00:39 EDT 2022

Now, there was a whole book on tracy widom that I gave away because it
was too hard for me and cannot remember the title of, or maybe it
was on something related in control theory...

There's so much activity around interactive vs bulkier traffic
(fq_codel's sparse flow optimization being one, l4s being another),
as when we try to apply gaussian statistics to networking things it
breaks down. There's other misleading indicators we deal with
like "cpu usage" when the real binding factors are interrupt response
time and running out of cache, that go non-linear, suddenly,
but per these bits of math (like the extreme value theorem), have a
describable shape...

Anyway, BBRv0 came out of princeton as best as I remember, and tracy
widom was popular at the time,
https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&sxsrf=ALiCzsayJH-LIf3QMgoTx0GInGUeNvzOeQ:1667228286598&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=tracy+widom+princeton