[LibreQoS] Fwd: project validating speedtest results and test tools

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:52:56 EST 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Elizabeth Belding <ebelding at cs.ucsb.edu>
Date: Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: project validating speedtest results and test tools
To: Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>
Cc: National Broadband Mapping Coalition <bbcoalition at marconisociety.org>

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting the group know about this really important work.

I am attaching a paper my group wrote, that recently received a Best
Paper Award at the ACM Internet Measurement Conference.  In it, we
examine Ookla and M-Lab speed test results, and make the case that in
order to be properly interpreted, context about the device type, last
hop link, and most importantly, the speed of the plan the user is
subscribed to must be included (and we introduce a nifty way to
reverse engineer subscribed plans for individual speed tests when
starting from bulk crowdsourced data points).  The set of graphs in
figure 13 specifically compares what Ookla measures vs. M-Lab, based
on the subscribed plan, and shows some important differences, in this
case for download speed.

I’d be happy to hear more about the specifics of what you are doing.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Belding
Professor, Dept. of Computer Science
Associate Dean - Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, College of Engineering
University of California, Santa Barbara
http://ebelding.cs.ucsb.edu