[LibreQoS] Fwd: Broadband Accountability Brief

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Mon May 1 06:48:12 EDT 2023

For one, the testing data needs to include more increments.  This is
capitalism (in theory) so if you want a measure of consumer choice you
need.... choices.  showing a DSL or an aging wisp or other <=10Mbps service
and having a 200-300Mbps docsis offering overbuilt via gov' funds at twice
the price is really not choice.

I hate to say this because I'm typing this on my shiny macbook pro 16
m2.... but this is the apple model.  Simply don't make products in the
bottom or even medium end of the market and then you dont have to worry
about those products cannibalising the higher end products.  Why doesn't
spectrum/comcast/etc offer a 100x25 service?  because it would be 10-15
less than their 200-300 and some not unsubstantial percent of users would
choose that because of the price and be very happy with it.  And frankly,
they WOULD be very happy with it.

These programs that are about whomever can deliver gigabit first getting
the government supported monopoly are the opposite of every merit based
selection mechanism in capitalism.

There seems to be a presumption that if you can just get 'fiber' to the
home that the internet will be great, but that's just not reflected in the
ratings and reviews of providers across the gambut.  You'll see wisps
offering quite low speeds with very high ratings and fttx providers with
gig service getting really poor reviews.  If one of these low reviewed
companies is first to market with that gig (and they are... a lot...their
business model is to use government funds to build out...) then the
consumer didn't get a choice, there is no competition to give consumers a
choice.

This is basically a giant nanny-state model.  The government 'knows better'
than the consumer and will pick the technology and the company to deliver
it.