[LibreQoS] [Starlink] tarana strikes back

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 16:37:34 EDT 2023

That particular wisp so broadcasting their activities is deploying
"preseem" over tarana to manage their bufferbloat issues with great
success... although it would be nice if the tarana cpe uplink radio
had it more under control with a smaller fixed size buffer, at least,
and less retries in the mac. The right place to manage uplink
bufferbloat is at the uplink, not the central controller.

Everytime that wisp posts their tarana speedtest number, they show
300ms + buffering on the uplink side, which, while dramatically better
than 5g or starlink is still 10x too much.... and I pester them about
it. Sometimes they repost with the post-preseem number, sometimes not.
(preseem uses fq_codel).

The principal complaints about tarana are it is really, really
expensive, it uses up a lot of spectrum, and they have a lot more hype
than I would like.  Because the barrier to entry is so high, many
other alternatives may well be more cost-effective. I would certainly
like to see, touch, and test a setup myself! I like NLOS (non-line of
sight) technologies for incredibly difficult shots...

But:

My purpose in asking the list here was to ask if the analysis of cell
size was correct and reasonable (it certainly looked so to me), and
the economic argument that falls out of the resulting information
density seems compelling for designing hybrid fiber and wireless
networks of all sorts, not as an endorsement of tarana.