[Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] [tsvwg] Comments on draft-szigeti-tsvwg-ieee-802-11e

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Mon Aug 3 19:37:47 EDT 2015

I design and build physical layer radio hardware (using SDR reception and transmission in the 5 GHz and 10 GHz Amateur radio bands).

Fairness is easy in a MAC. 1 usec. is 1,000 linear feet.  If the next station knows when its turn is, it can start transmitting within a couple of microseconds of seeing the tail of the last packet, and if there is adequate "sounding" of the physical environment, you can calculate tighter bounds than that.  Even if the transmission is 1 Gb/sec, 1 usec. is only 1,000 bits at most.

But at the end-to-end layer, today's networks are only at most 20 msec. end-to-end across a continent.  The most buffering you want to see on an end-to-end basis is 10 msec.

I disagree strongly that "mice" - small packets - need to be compressed.  Most small packets are very, very latency sensitive (acks, etc.). As long as they are a relatively small portion of capacity, they aren't the place to trade latency degradation for throughput.  That's another example of focusing on the link rather than the end-to-end network context.
(local link acks can be piggy-backed in various ways, so when the local Wireless Ethernet domain is congested, there should be no naked ack packets)

Why does anyone measure a link in terms of a measurement of small-packet efficiency?  The end-to-end protocols shouldn't be sending small packets once a queue builds up at the source endpoint.